David Headley's NIA interrogation report - PART-05

6. Joining of Lashkar-E-Toiba (LeT) in Pakistan:
During my stay in Pakistan I Used to go to Qadisiya mosque to offer prayers. Once I saw a poster/banner of LeT in Lahore requesting for funds to fight jihad in India. I was touched by poster. The poster had the telephone number of the LeT's office based in Model Town, Lahore. I called up the number given in the poster . Two persons( one of them is Abid, a member of LeT who worked in the Model Town office of LeT, now settled in Spain) came to my house in Lahore and collected Rs. 50,000 from me in cash. They requested me to participate in a lecture in the same evening that would be delivered by the LeT chief, Hafiz Saeed in the house of a Lahore based businessman Shaikh Nadim. Shaikh Nadim is a known businessman, of Lahore. He stays near the model town office of LeT.

Shaikh Nadim's elder brother who is in his early sixties is Shaikh Nayeem. Both the brothers are the known financiers of the LeT in Lahore. The recent bombing of the Ahmediya mosque in 2010 happened very close to Shaikh Nadim's house.

The Shaikh brothers are involved in the clothing business in Lahore. The lecture of Hafiz Saeed on the relevance of Jihad and his mention of Hadith really influenced me .Hafiz Saeed quoted a Hadith which said that a moment spent in jihad gives you much more sawaab ( reward) than the millions of namaz offered in kaaba and that too on the night of lailat ur Qadr'( a pious night of Ramadan).

7. I met Hafiz Saeed for the first time during this meeting . Abid took me to Hafiz Saeed and introduced me to him. I was influenced by the address of Hafiz Saeed. When I returned home I checked the veracity of this from hadith. I found out that it was a Bukhari Hadith ( Sayings of prophet compiled by Imam Bukhari ). I was attracted towards jihad.

8. After two weeks from this meeting I again met Hafiz Saeed in Muridke in one of the "Istamas"of LeT. During this meeting, Abdur Rehman Makki was also present. Abdur Rehman Makki also delivered a lecture in this Istama. During this brief meeting Hafiz Saeed told me to be present till the completion of the Istama. Abdur Rehman Makki is the son of Hafiz Saeed's maternal uncle . Hafiz Saeed's wife's younger sister is married to Abdur Rehman Makki.

9. Abid, the person who took me to this meeting no longer works for LeT. One Ramzan had taken over the charge of the Model Town, Lahore LeT camp from Abid . During this phase I used to regularly go and offer prayer at the Qadisiya mosque in Lahore. Qadisiya mosque is the Mosque of the LeT, guarded by the armed LeT cadres. Hafiz Saeed and Abdur Rehman Makki usually come and offer their Friday namaz read Khutba in the Qadisiya mosque.

10. Ramzan introduced me to Abu Dujana . Abu Dujana (age:35/40,Height 5'8",slim with a long beard) was a veteran who had fought in Kashmir . He and Muzzammil were together in Kashmir.He remained there from the year 1998 to 2001. Abu Dujana told me that once he was shot by village Defence Committee (VDC) members in Doda district of J&K, He had full praise for the courage of the VDC members. I went to Abu Dujana's house a few times Abu Dujana stays in the compound of the Muridke Mosque with his mother, wife, widow of his brother, one younger brother and his children .

11. In Nov 2000, I returned to USA. During these years I never used to stay in Pakistan for more than a month. My business was in New York which was being looked after by my cousin Farid in my absence. By this time my store was not doing very well.

12. On and around 2001, I firmly decided to join LeT and fight for the cause of Jihad. I met Hafiz Saeed during the Friday prayers at Qadisiya Masque.

13. I wanted to close my video store in USA and join the activities of LeT. I wanted to sell it. Subsequently I decided to rent it out. I gave it on rent to an Italian person. I wanted to contribute the money that I used to get from the store for the cause of Jihad. I discussed this matter with Hafiz Saeed on and around July 2001, which he very politely declined. He suggested me to remain away from such earnings which are against the basics of Salafi thought.

14. During my stay in Pakistan we used to debate on the jihad and other aspects of fighting the so called "crusader force" ( The non-Islamic forces fighting against the jihadis). I even used to discuss Salafi thought with a number of scholars. Ramzan and Abu Dujana motivated me to join the Daura-e-Sufa for my understanding of jihad and LeT.

15. Training Undergone as the member of LeT: On and around February 2002, I went to for the Daura-e-Sufa training for three weeks in Muridke. This training was organized by one Abdur Rehman Abid( Age:42, from Punjab, Pakistan). This training included lectures on "Tohid" and other practices of Islam's Salafi school of thought. During this course, the mother of Hafiz Saeed expired . So all of us went from the training camp to Saeed's place and expressed our condolence.

16. On and around August 2002, I joined the three- week training program Daura -e- Amma in Muzaffarabad . One Abu Hanzala was our course coordinator . During this training I met Abu Aamar also. Abu Aamar was a respected commander of LeT who had fought in Kashmir for a long time. He was handicapped in his left hand as a result of a gunshot injury. During this training there was trainee from New Zealand and he had a lot of difficulty in following the training as he was a recent convert . During this Daura, Hafiz Saeed also visited the training camp and delivered a lecture.

17. In the year 2002 . I met Muzzammil Butt, a kashmiri in Muzaffarabad . Abu Dujana introduced me to Muzzammil. Muzzammil and Abu Dujana had stayed together in Kashmir. Muzzammil is very important operative of LeT. He was Involved in a series of attacks on Indian security forces when he was in Kashmir. I recollect that once Muzzammil had told me how he had gone and killed civilians in a village in South Kashmir before the visit of the then US president . Bill Clinton to India. After coming to Muzaffarabad, he was initially given the charge of the India operations.

18. On and around the early summer of 2002, I was introduced to Abdur Rehman Hashim @ Pasha by Abu Dujana at the Qadisiya Mosque in Lahore. In my first meeting with Abdur Rehman, I found him to be dedicated towards Jihad. During my stay in Pakistan, I Used to regularly go to Abdur Rehman Hashim's house. I can identify his house in Lahore.

19. Abdur Rehman Hashim is very close to me. Abdur Rehman and Major Haroon were the trainers in LeT who prepared the operatives for combat duties and suicidal attacks. I recollect when I was undergoing the Daura-e-Khasa course in the year 2003, Abdur Rehman used to train a suicidal squad to carry out attacks In India in nearby location. On and around 2004, the Indian PM's rally was attacked in Srinagar city by LeT. This attack was carried out by one of the trainees of Abdur Rehman.

20. In LeT, before joining the training course viz., The Daura-e-khasa one needs to get his name recommended by a senior functionary of LeT. I got myself recommended from one Abu Shoaib of Lahore. Abu Shoab (age 40, then) had serious disagreement on the kaluchak attack in jammu carried by the LeT on 14 May,2002. After this incident he started slowly distancing himself from the LeT. However, he gave me the recommendation. I had gone to his house in Lahore to obtain the recommendation letter. Abu Shoaib in the coming days formed a small group known as "Caravan-e-Islam" to fight in Afghanistan.

21. On and around April 2003, I joined the Daura-e-khasa in Muzaffarabad. This was a three months course. Furqan and Sanaullah were my trainers for this Daura, though Sayeed was the overall in-charge of Daura e Khasa. Furqan is from kot Addu in Southern Punjab, Pakistan.

22. Abu Sayeed works under Nassar Javed who is the overall training in charge of LeT.

23. This training was tough. I had some problems with one Abu Furkan. So I left the training in between and came back to Lahore. I shared my problems with Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi. I shared my problems with Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi. After four days I decided to join the training again. I resumed the training and completed it on and around july 2003.

24. After the completion of training I met Zaki and expressed my desire to flight in Kashmir. However Zaki declined my request and mentioned that I would not fit the age criteria to fight in Kashmir . However Zaki declined my request and mentioned that I would not fit the age criteria to fight in Kashmir. He handed over me to Yaqoob, one of the close associates of Zaki. Yaqoob is with Zaki since 1984. Yaqoob resides in the "Bait-ul-Mujahiddin" in Muzaffarabad.

25. On and around August 2003, I joined the three week Daura-e-ribat in the Manshera valley. The basic objective of this training was to make "contact" . Ribat is derived from word rabta which means to be in contact with. Contact/rabta is a bery important tactic of LeT, where every operative is contacted by his handler quite frequently . Daura-e-ribat is mostly for the people who have to recruit or be in constant contact with other operatives . Abu Usman was one of the principal trainers during this course. Abu Usman is the Younger brother of Nasar Javed, who is the overall in charge of training. For this training, a room was taken on rent by the LeT. There were 17/18 cadres of LeT with me during this training. One Abdullah and Soanaullah were also the trainers in this course. One Abu Azmal (28), who I believe is from Maharashtra (India) was doing the training with me. Subsequently once Muzzammil had told me that Azmal was arrested in India sometime in 2006/07. This arrest was broadcast on the TV also . I had met Azmal during the "Isatma" of LeT in October 2003 also.

26. On and around September 2003, I attended the "Isatma" of LeT. I was directed to attend another training of LeT known as Bait-ul-Rizwan. On and around December 2003, I did this training for four months .This training was based on the un-armed combat and close quarter battles. Bait -ul- Rizwan stresses more on salafi and Deobandi ideology. Abu Aiman was the in -Charge of the training. Abu Aiman is around 33 years old and is from Southern Punjab . He is fat but his reflexes are quite sharp. During this training I came across a trainer who was an NCO in the Pakistan army and an expert in un-armed combat. I consider him as an excellent trainer. I do not recollect his name . Abu Qahafa had done this training with me.

27. On and around july 2004, a two week training programme on leadership seminar was held in Abbotabbad. Abur Rehman Maki and Zaki -ur- Rehman Lakhvi were present during this seminar. This course is called "Dhaura-e- Tadribul Musaleen". During this Daura, speeches were given by Hafiz Saeed, Abdurrahman Maki and others. Maulana Masood Azhar also gave a speech during this Daura. It was a weeklong Daura. During this Daura two lunches were organized by Zaki in which selected people were invited . I was also invited . During the lunch there was discussion about how to effectively deal with banning of LeT by the Pakistan government . Zaki disapproved of the idea of fighting a legal battle on this issue as he was apprehensive of the evidence against LeT being produced by the Indian authorities.

28. Post Training Activities in Pakistan: On and around August 2004, I met Zaki and requested him to change my handler as I was not comfortable with yaqoob. Zaki then handed me over to Muzzammil, Abdur Rehamn was also working in Muzzammil's set up. In his set up. I came across the following operatives like Sajid Majid, Abu Anas Abdul Aziz and the following:

29. Abu Saria: He was killed in the earthquake in October 2005.

30. Mohsin: He was the accountant of the group. He got killed in the earthquake in Oct,2005.

31. Owais: He has a central Asian look . He was strongly considered to go to India. He continues to be in Sajid Majid's group.

32. During this period I started my dairy farming business. I purchased some land also . However I could not do well in my business.

33. On and around January 2005, I started reporting to Sajid Majid. After this I started working under Sajid Majid. After this I started working under Sajid Majid .Though Muzzammil was my handler but it was Sajid who used to interact with me frequently.

34. Preparation for visit to India: Because after the training I was not sent to Kashmir, I became skeptical about my future. Increasingly I developed a feeling that I am not being used properly . I mentioned these issues to Zaki, Muzzammil, Sajid etc. But I was told to wait. Subsequently it was decided that I would go to India to carry out the activities of the LeT. However at this point, it was not clear to which place in India I would go. During discussions in LeT, several Indian cities were discussed where they proposed to send me. Some of these places which I recollect were Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, Nagpur, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Gujarat etc. The change of name, establishment of Immigration office in India on behalf of Tahawwur Hussain Rana, use of American passport to conceal my identity and so on were my ideas. The LeT appreciated these ideas.

35. On and around April 2005, LeT carried out the attack on the Muzaffarabad and Srinagar bus services. Immediately after that Sajid along with Abdur Rehman left for India under the pretext of watching the Indo -Pak cricket match. Sajid, of course did not reveal anything about this visit to me. However Abdur Rehman had given a detailed narration of this visit to India in April 2005. They went from the Wagha border. They spent some time in Delhi. Abdur Rehman had gone to the NDC in Delhi to conduct a reconnaissance of the NDC. They had possibly gone to the IMA Dehraudun . On their way back, Abdur Rehman recollected that Sajid was extremely nervous at Wagha gate.

36. I started working on my name change procedure. On and around September 2005, I went to USA. I contacted attorney Donald Drumpf for change of name . when I had left Pakistan, I had given Farid's number to Sajid Majid. Sajid had contacted me during my trip to USA.

37. I returned to Pakistan after the earthquake. I was told that Abu Saria and Mohsin had lost their lives in the earthquake. The miraculous escape of Abu Anas' two year old son was also discussed with Sajid. I met Zaki's son Wasi in Muzaffarabad during this period. Wasi was killed in an action in Kashmir. When I met Wasi in Muzaffarabad he was with another boy named Amanullah. Amanullah was killed in an action near Athmuqam, on the Line of Actual Control (LOC). I was after Zaki's son that Sajid had taken as his alias.

38. I also met Abdul Qadir, an old LeT commander and one of the founders of LeT. Abdul Qadir was an ex SSG he retired as a havaldar . Qadir was a competitor of Zaki and he wanted to replace Zaki as the commander of LeT When LeT didn't give much importance to jihad in Afghanistan, he left LeT and went to Afghanistan and fought along Taliban. He was later arrested by ISI for working with Tahrike-ul-Taliban of Pakistan (TTP) and then released after some time. Zaki told me not to contact Qadir.

39. I visited Muzaffarabad. Sajid received me on a motor bike and took me to the safe house near the LeT hospital in Muzaffarabad. I met Abu Qahafa, and Muzzammil in this house. I met Abu Qahafa, and Muzzammil in this house. I had seen Abu Qahafa earlier. Abu Qahafa had done the Bait-ul-Rizwan training with me. He is married to Abu Saeed's sister . He, in the days to come, would work with Sajid Majid and train the attackers of Mumbai for the 26/11 attack. One of the nephews of Abu Qahafa had participated in the Mumbai attack.

40. Between October 2005 and December 2005, I had gone to Muzaffarabad on three occasions. I met Abu Qahafa, Muzzammil, Sajid Majid and Abu Anas During this period . On and around end of December, I along with Muzzammil, Abdul Rehman, Sajid and Amahullah ( an engineer killed in action) Went to a camp in Athmuqam. I was not told about this trip by the LeT. Muzzammil visited several Pakistan army installations during our visit . I suspect they were preparing for an attack, possibly a train attack in India. The safe house in Muzaffarabad used to be called by Sajid as "Ice Box". Sajid, Muzzammil and Qahafa showed me a number of CDs of atrocities on Indian Muslims. Babu Bajrangi's videos of Gujarat riots were also shown. During this meeting I was also shown a map of Cyberabad. I believe that LeT has already conducted the surveillance of Rajkot ( Oil refinery ) and it is a potential target. I recollect there was a discussion on prof. Puri's assassination in Bangalore by the LeT. Abu Hamza executed this action. Abdul Aziz had supervised this operation.

41. In the year 2005, I did not meet Abdur Rehman @ Pasha much as he was fighting alongside Taliban in Afghanistan. Capt. Khurram ( Haroon's brother ) was also fighting . I again met Abdur Rehman @ Pasha in January 2006.

42. Visit to Khyber agency with Abdur Rehman Hashim: On and around January 2006, I proposed to Abdur Rehman Hashim to take him to the Khyber agency to introduce him to some of my old contacts of drug-dealing days for assistance to smuggle weapons to India. He readily agreed to go with me.

43. In the mid- eighties, I used to be in regular contact with one Jeb Shah, father of Niyhmat Shah of Khyber agency . I had kept that contact alive. Gradually I became close to his son Niyhmat Shah (60 years old). During my stay in Pakistan I was in touch with Niyhmat Shah. They belong to the Shinwari tribe. They are located at Shek mal Khel 10 km away from Landi Kotal. I also know Ayub Arifdi another person from the same region. I used to often drop his name to Rahul Bhatt to make him aware about the contacts that I have in the FATA areas.

44. We went to Peshawar from Lahore by bus which took us almost seven hours. From Peshawar, Khyber pass is two our journey. We took a taxi and proceeded towards Khyber Agency . On the out skirts of Peshawar at the Bagh-e- Khyber we were stopped by the tribal guards known as Zamrut. We were taken to the khar police station. Before proceeding to the police Station I showed them my Pakistani id card. Major Abdur Rehman also showed his ex-army card. However they took us to the police station and conducted a zama-talashi. They took away our telephones from us. We were kept in the Police Station with some other persons. We could manage to call up Niyhmat Shah and told him the problem.

45. The next day we were taken to the Landikotal prison. From there we were taken to a location of Khyber Rifle. We met one Mjor Ali@Sheen of ISI in this location. He separately talked to both of us. I narrated him my entire story. I told him about my association with Lashkar -e - Toiba and my ongoing plans to go to India. He told me that earlier some year ago while he was posted in Lahore, he used to send people to India to collect information and intelligence on the Indian army and cities. He remembered his work and contacts that carried out some work in the Indian city of Pune.He addressed Abdur Rehman as "Sir" as Abdur Rehman was senior to him in the course. He told me that some people would be contacting me in Lahore who could be useful to me in my mission.

46. The next day, Niyhmat Shah came with another person to meet us. He knew Major Ali. So we were let off.

47. We went to Niyhmat Shah's place and discussed the possibility of sending weapons to India. He agreed to do so. He said that they smuggled weapons to India though Jammu, Rajasthan, Gujarat, etc., along with drugs.

48. Upon my return, I mentioned the visit to Sajid. However he did not seen happy about this trip.

49. On and around 2007, I learnt that, Sajid had gone to meet Niymat Shah along with Muzzammil . He did not tell me this. Abdur Rehman did. Reportedly Sajid had paid approximately 8.5 lakh rupees on behalf of LeT to Niyhmat Shah to smuggle weapons into India.

50. Introduction with Major Iqbal in Lahor: we reached Lahore safe and sound. After a couple of days of my arrival in Lahore, I got a call from Major Iqbal. He called me up on by mobilelink mobile number. This number is with me since 2001 and it is in the name of my brother-in-law Rizwan,36H,Gulberg Colony, Lahore. I had never talked to Major Iqbal before. He gave the reference of Major Ali to me. He told me to come and meet him in a nearby location between the Lahore Airport and the defence society. I took my Honda city car and left to meet Major Iqbal. He guided me to the location over mobile phone. I used my mobillink company cell phone for this purpose. As soon as I reached the location, he sent a person to pick me up and take me to the location where he was stationed. I met Major Iqbal. Major Iqbal introduced me to his boss known as Lt. Col Hamza. Lt. Col Hamza was a man in this early forties. He is baby faced and also overweight by the army standard. He must be five feet six inches in height. He appeared to be from Punjab. This I could guess from the accent in which he talked to me. They listened to my entire plan. This meeting lasted for more than two hours. The Lt. Col assured me of the financial help and directed me to follow the direction of Major Iqbal from time to time. He also directed me inform about all my activities to Major Iqbal. That was the first and last meeting with Lt. Col Hamza. This was the only time I met him because after that he was transferred out of Lahore. Major Iqbal remained my handler. In the times to come, I would inform all events related to my activities to Major Iqbal . To my knowledge, Abdur Rehman was also contacted by the ISI handlers. Abdur Rehman never liked the ISI handlers. We would often discuss the ISI Major Sameer Ali on couple of occasions. I was in contact with him though telephone and emails. On and around 2008 once I met one of the ISI handlers of Abdur Rehman Hashim named as Col Shah. I understand from my association in LeT that Zaki was also under an ISI handler known as Brig. Riyaz . who is now retired . He used to live in a palatial house in Muzzaffarabad. I also realized that every LeT operative is handled by some ISI official. The same was true of Muzzammil and Sajid Majid.

Comments

  1. Dear sir,

    Kayem Pharmaceutical Pvt. Ltd. is a contract manufacturer and marketers of Generic Prescription Drugs having the capacity to manufacture Tablets, Capsules, Liquids, Powder, Ointments and Injectibles including Parental.


    for more details visit our web site www.kayempharma.com


    with regards
    admin
    kayem pharma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment