David Headley's NIA interrogation report - PART-08

151. Beginning of the conspiracy to attack Chabad Houses in India: My father expired on 25 December,2008. I could not come to Pakistan then. I was in US. The PM of Pakistan had come to pay his condolences on my father's demise to our house.

152. The Denmark project was a matter of concern for both Sajid and Abdur Rehman . In the month of Feb, 2009 I mostly remained in Pakistan. I had gone to Germany on 15 January, 2009 and returned to Lahore on 25 January, 2009 . During my stay in Pakistan, I met Illyas kashmiri in FATA region . Abdur Rehman had taken me to Illyas kashmiri's place. Two other persons accompanied us in this visit. They were Nawaz and Ijaz. Nawaz was an old friend of Abdur Rahman and I got the impression that he had worked with LeT in the past. Ijaz was my friend from the Abdalian. Ijaz belonged to Tabligi jamat and I took him to Kashmiri to get him indoctrinated into jihad we traveled to Miranshah area and went into a house . Kashmiri came later. He congratulated me on the Mumbai attacks. Ijaz had retired from Air force Illiyas kashimri knew Izaz's brother who happened to be an ISI agent. The task of reconnaissance of the Chabad Houses in India was given to me.

153. Upon our return Abdur Rehman gave me additional information about my trip. He asked me to survey Chabad Houses and Raksha Bhawan in Delhi. I was also told to survey a house in Goa where Israeli soldiers come for a holiday and Osho temple in Pune. I could make out that the Abdur Rehman was more interested in India. Abdur Rehman gave me Rs.55000 and paid for my air travel.

154. As I was concerned about my safety I emailed my will to Tahawwur Rana. I was in contact with Rana during this period . I told Rana to open a shared email account in order to pass the information. I told Rana about Abdur Rehman's connection with Illyas Kashmiri and AlQaeda.

155. Final trip to India- March 2009: Accordingly, I took the list of the Chabad Houses in India. I reached Delhi and conducted reconnaissance of chabad Houses in places like Delhi, Puskhar, Goa, and Pune. I came to Delhi on 7 March,09 . I stayed in Pahadganj. I stayed in hotel International . I went to Chabad house and took videos of all three entry points to Pahadganj area. This time I had a new camera given to me by my brother -in-law. The same camera was seized by the FBI during my arrest. I changed my hotel to Anand Hotel because International hotel was charging a huge amount. Next day I visited India Gate. I videographed Vice President's house, Sena Bhawan and National Defence College. I made extensive footage of Israeli embassy and entries to NDC. I surveyed routes from Raksha Bhawan to NDC . There were two routes from Raksha Bhawan and NDC. I found out that the bus which takes trainee officers from Raksha Bhawan to NDC had very minimal security and it seemed to me as a very vulnerable target. I spoke to Rana from NDC . I tried to email the contents of my video to Rana but I could not do it. I went to two cyber Café in Pahadganj. One of the employees of a cyber café tried to help me in uploading the videos but he could not do it. Pahadganj seems to me as likely target and I had made extensive videos of it.

156. On the night of 10th of March I went to Pushkar. I took a bus from Pahadganj . The ticket was arranged by the person who was either manager or owner of Hotel International. I reached Pushkar next morning and checked into a hotel. The hotel was near Chabad house . I changed the room which was allotted to me previously and moved to a room which gave a direct view of Chabad house. While I was roaming around Pushkar I saw a Hindu funeral. I made the videos of the funeral . Near the cremation ground I met an Israeli couple and a lady. I befriended them and we had lunch together. I made extensive videos of the Chabad house. I also accessed my email from the internet café of my hotel. My Israeli friends gave me address of one Fatima who owns a guest house in Goa.

157. From Pushkar I went to Jaipur by road and then took a flight to Goa. From the airport I straight went Anjuna beach and looked around for the Chabad house. The Chabad house did not seem to be very impressive to me still I made videos of the same . From there I went to Armabole and checked into Fatima's guest house. The Israeli house in Armabole, which Abdur Rehman had mentioned was an old building painted purple . I did not find anybody in the building and it was locked I made a detailed video of the Israeli house and people around told me that very few Israelis visited this place.

158. I took a bus from Goa to Pune . In Pune I stayed in hotel Surya villa which is 500 metres from the Chabad house. I went to Osho ashram. I had worn a gown which I had purchased in my previous visit. I made detailed videos of Osho ashram from outside and the Chabad house. I also surveyed and graphed the entire koregoan area including German Bakery. I took some pamphlets which were written in Hebrew and I gave it to Pasha when I returned home.

159. From Pune I went to Mumbai and spoke with Mrs. Bharucha. I also went to the reliance byber café and accessed my mail. I gave some money to the cyber café person so my account there would remain alive. I went to see a movie in the same theatre which I had visited in 2008 . After the movie I went Bashir's house and took some stuff from the luggage. Bashir told me that his immigration to Canada was almost through.

160. I came back to Lahore and met Abdur Rehman at his house. I gave him the reconnaissance videos and we discussed each and every target in detail. I told Abdur Rehman that we could kill more Indian Military Officers in an attack on National Defence College than had been killed in all the wars between India and Pakistan. I had told the same thing to Rana when I talked to him from India. I briefed Abdur Rehman on the security of NDC and told him Mumbai type stronghold would hold good for this place. Abdur Rehman agreed with me. Abdur Rehman was not in favour of a suicide attack as he thought that this was done by people who don't have fresh ideas. We also discussed Raksha Bhawan I told him that attack on Raksha Bhawan would not be effective as everybody stayed inside. While videographing the route from Raksha Bhawan. I had also videographed the outer boundary of Prime Minister's residence. Abdurrahman was not interested in Raksha Bhawan. Abdurrahman told me that a man from Rawalpindi was ready to carry out the attack but he had trouble to get visa in India. He added that his visa application was turned down because he had long beard. Abdur Rehman told him to shave his beard and he had reapplied for visa.

161. We also discussed about Delhi Chabad house but Abdurrahman seemed to be more interested in the NDC. Abdurrahman hinted to me that his setup in Nepal would also help him. Abdurrahman had been to Nepal at least twice in 2005 -2006 when he was with Lashkar. Abdurrahman had a setup in eastern part of Nepal which had sizable Muslim population. I got an impression there was close coordination between Karachi setup and Nepal setup both run by him. We also discussed Chabad Houses and temples in Pushkar.

162. I told Abdurrahman that best time to attack Pushkar is winter as there is a large number of tourists at this time. I also suggested to him we could hide the weapons in surrounding mountain.

163. I told Abdur Rehman that there was nothing in Goa. There was no to need to attack this place. We watched Goa videos together. Abdur Rehman kept asking the development in Mumbai investigation. We also looked up the locations of each target on Google earth on the computer of Abdur Rehman. When Abdur Rehman was arrested in July 2009. I came to know that his wife had disposed all the suspect material. After few days of meeting I met Sajid in Lahore. Sajid told me that the Denmark project was postponed as there was lot of pressure due to Mumbai investigations. I started having doubts regarding Sajid and LeT and agreed with Abdur Rehman that LeT was coward and pliable. I was mentally getting distanced from LeT. I told Sajid about the trip of India on the behalf of Abdur Rehman . Sajid did not believe it at the first instance and when I swore that I had gone, he became furious and asked me did I go I told him that Abdur Rehman was interested in NDC and he (Sajid) could also help. Sajid refused and said he was not interested at this movement. I did not tell Sajid about my visit to Illyas kashmiri and also requested Sajid not to tell Zaki about my trip to India. I had another meeting with Sajid in Rawalpindi. Sajid said haroon was arrested and he had revealed about LeT's role in Mumbai and ISI cooperation in it. Sajid asked me if I talked to Haroon about Mumbai attack, I told him that I had done it only after the attack. Sajid got angry . Later in a separate meeting Sajid told me that Zaki did not want me to work with Abdur Rehman. Sajid told me that Haroon had revealed about my recon in Mumbai and advised me not to stay in Lahore. I later asked Abdur Rehman about it and he said that Haroon had not revealed anything about me. During this period I also met Major Iqbal at my house. Iqbal told me not to contact him anymore as Mumbai investigation was getting bigger and hotter. Iqbal told me that the captured Mumbai attacker had revealed everything.

164. I discussed about Haroon with Abdur Rehman and he told me that Haroon had been arrested in an attempt to kidnap somebody. Haroon was also involved in kidnapping of a hindu film producer of Pakistan and also the murder of General Alvi and his driver. I knew Haroon was working with illyas kashmiri. Haroon had once asked me to survey a lawyer's house who could have been potential target for kidnapping. Abdur Rehman had given my Glock pistol to Haroon. This pistol was given to me by Sajid and I had requested Abdur Rehman to look for a buyer for it. Abdur Rehman apologized for it but I was very angry.

165. Meeting with Illyas kashmiri: On and around May, 2009, along with Saulat Mamu and Abdur Rehman, I went to meet Illyas kashmiri in FATA at Banu we changed the number plate of the car. We went to Miranshan to meet Illyas kashmiri. We went to an arms market where I found a lot of foreigners with arms ready to fight in Afghanistan. They include Uzbek, Chechen, Arab, Bosnian,Pakistani and Afgans etc. We waited for kashimiri to come at the same location as we had met the last time. He came in a jeep with his gun men. I could see a lot of suicide vests being prepared in this house. I was told that they were being prepared for some actions. We stayed in this location for one night . In the meeting with Illyas Kashmiri I was told to concentrate on the Denmark attack at the earliest. They even discussed a general attack on Copenhagen. Kashmiri and Abdur Rehman@ Pasha both adhere to Takfiri Ideology . Kashimiri gave me 1500$ and told me to go back to Denmark and take more videos. After couple of days we traveled back to Lahore.

166. After this, till my arrest I concentrated on the Denmark project. I was in regular touch with Abdur Rehman for the Denmark attack. Dr. Rana was also informed on our plan to attack . Dr. Rana was also informed on our plan to attack the newspaper in Denmark. I was in email as well as telephonic contact with Abdur Rehman. The outfit which Abdur Rehamn had formed is known as Jund -ul-fida.

167. Visit to USA in June 2009: I went to USA in June 2009, and met Rana I told Rana about my meetings with Kashmiri and my surveillance in India. Rana seemed pleased with my work in India. I was in touch with Abdur Rehman@ Pasha and Major Sameer Ali from US. Abdur Rehman@Pasha also used to talk me on telephone and we had e-mail contact also. In July 2009 Sajid again contacted me on e-mail. He used new email ID and contacted me on my e-mail. Sajid wrote to me that he had some new business plans and investments (attacks) for India. He also told me that this time the attacks would not be in Mumbai but other cities near Mumbai. He used the phrase Rahul's city for Mumbai.

168. On and around July 2009 Salaut called me and informed me about Abdur Rehman's arrest. Sajid also wrote to me that Hashim ( Abdurrahman) is with Haroon which meant Abdur Rehman also has been arrested. Sajid asked me about Abdur Rehman's number but I did not give it to him. Abdur Rehman had completely moved away from LeT in 2008. Rana and Sajid had talked to each other couple of times in the past. Once Sajid had called Rana to express gratitude for the help he had provided for Mumbai attacks.

169. Sajid wrote to me that Zaki (chacha) Hafiz Saeed (bada Chacha) both were in jail but were doing fine and Sajid had got clearance to launch another attack in India. I believe that Sajid's reference to 'near Rahul city' meant a city in Gujarat. In Feb 2009 Sajid had shown me a Google earth map of an oil refinery in Gujarat It was probably Reliance oil refinery and Sajid was keen to attack it. Sajid insisted that I go to India as soon as possible but I told him that I would only go after Ramzan. In August 2009. I went to England and met Bashrat (Passha) and Sufiyaan (Simon) in Derby. Both of them Basharat and Sufiyaan were from kotali area Pakistan area. They knew illyas kashmiri from before. Basharat did not have nice things to say about Illyas kashmiri. He told me that Illyas kashmiri's son was misusing the jihad money. They also gave me some money and said that only Sufiyaan was available for Denmark plot. From there I went to Sweden and met Farid at Stockholm. Pasha and Kashmiri had told me about Farid who was actually from Morocco. My second wife Faiza was also from Morocco. Abdur Rehman had written to me that the Swedish man was native of M2 country . M2 was a reference to my wife Faiza . Farid told me that he was being continuously watched and he was not available for Denmark and surveyed the newspaper office I also surveyed surroundings and also went to Aaharas. I videographed Aaharas office of the newspaper also . In Copenhagen I went to newspaper office and told them that I wanted to put an ad for my immigration business. I gave them my email account which was used by Rana. Rana had agreed that I could use the immigration business as cover up. I was in touch with Rana and with my first wife Shazia and Faiza through emails. I used to contact Shazia on the email account at haidergilani1@ hotmail.com and faizagilani@ymail.com,rawsa1@hotmail.com was one of the emails used by Abdurrahman. The email used by Sajid was get.some.books@yahoo.com One of the email addresses of Major Iqbal was chaudharykham@yahoo.com and the e-mail address used by Major Sameer Ali chsameerali@yahoo.com . From Denmark I drove to Germany and took a flight to US from Frankfurt . I briefed Rana about my visit to US from Frankfurt. I briefed Rana about my visit to US, Sweden and Denmark Rana told me that he had replied to email sent by Iyllaids-posten on my behalf the email was regarding the advertisement of immigration business. I also wrote to Sajid about my visit to Germany and told him that I had gone there to buy some equipment for Rana's farm. I wrote to Sajid that I had got same gift for him which he understood as the surveillance videos. Sajid wrote to me that my trip to India had been cleared by Zaki and Hafiz Saab and things were favorable to visit India. I told Pasha that Sajid wanted me to go to India again at which Pasha was very surprised.

170. I had written to Pasha that for Denmark plot if stronghold option is not viable the we could use the suicide bombing. I had even volunteered myself for the attack.

171. On 3 October,2009 I was going to Pakistan to meet Abdur Rehman and Sajid when I was arrested from the airport. A camera mobile phone and some other stuff were recovered from my baggage.

172. The mobile phone with the SIM card used by me in India was seized from my possession by the FBI at the Chicago airport.

173. On being asked I truthfully mention that I have not spoken about my work given by either LeT or by major Iqbal or Illyas Kashmiri or by Abdur Rehman@ Pasha to any person in India during my various trip to your country. I was not given any operational work therefore there was no need to take the help of any friend or associates. sometime I committed small mistakes like speaking hindi, going to a mosque, going around with Faiza which could have exposed me. But luckily this did not happen.

174. On being asked I can identify the persons and locations I have mentioned to you in India, Pakistan, USA and Denmark.

175. On being asked the recording done by me are not available except with LeT or with Pasha or with the ISI. They might be keeping these in some computers. I can produce the camera of my mother in law which I used for my mission. My Sony Erricson phone is with FBI. I can identify the phone and also the GPS instrument I used in India.

Comments

  1. Chabad London the name of a Torah portion is, of course, indicative of its general content, inasmuch as the title applies equally to all its verses. This is also true regarding Lech Lecha , “Go for your own sake” — a title that implies a continual moving forward.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment