David Headley's NIA interrogation report - PART-06

51. Visit to USA for change of name: During the first week of February 2006 I visited USA. Like in the past, I landed in the JFK international airport in New York. I went and met my cousin Farid who was in USA. I confirmed the progress in my business. Then I went and pursued my name change issues. It did not take much time. My lawyer had already lined up the matter. I could complete my work in a couple of days. I did not have a Pakistani passport. The USA passport is my only passport. I had never received any passport issued by my Pakistani handlers. I was staying in Pakistan on the Pakistani visa issued from USA by Pakistan Embassy.

52. While changing my passport, I did not change my Social Security Number (SSN) of USA. Though I was in telephonic contact with Dr. Rana, I did not go to Chicago to meet him during this time.

53. Beginning of training under Major Iqbal: On and around March 2006, I returned to Pakistan. Upon my return I met Major Iqbal. I can recall the meeting with Major Iqbal at a fourth location. At the first three locations I met him occasionally. At the fourth location which was near the airport of Lahore, I used to meet him regularly . I can show all these locations. Before my visit to USA in July 2006. I visited Muzaffarabad three to four times. I informed Sajid, Muzzammil about the change of my name. They were impressed about my work. However I was not assigned any immediate task to execute.

54. I informed Abdur Rehman Hashim about my new name . Many people would not know my name in Pakistan, I used my old name . During this period, I became close to Major Iqbal as I found him more professional in his approach. Major Iqbal assigned an NCO to train me on the basics of intelligence. This included several lessons such as, how to create sources, how to take cover, and so on. After explaining the theory, the NCO would take me to streets of Lahore to implement them. I truly enjoyed this training. The training given by this NCO under the guidance of Major Iqbal was much more scientific and effective that the trainings I did in the LeT camps. Major Iqbal would give me reading materials including some containing information about India, prepared in English with stamps on each page as "secret". I would read these materials with great interest and try and follow them . Often, I would discuss the issues of Dr. Rana with Major Iqbal. Major Iqbal would then assure me help for Dr. Rana to visit Pakistan. Dr. Rana had deserted the Pakistan army sometime in early nineties. After that he had never come to Pakistan. He was a doctor in the Pakistan army and from my college. I had given Dr. Rana's contact number to Major Iqbal.

55. Visit to USA in June 2006 to obtain the visa for India: I went to Dr. Rana's place and stayed in his house for a few weeks. During this period, we had an elaborate discussion on the establishment of the Immigrant Law Centre (ILC) in Mumbai. I told Dr Rana the entire plan of the LeT and ISI. I requested his help which he readily agreed to provide. I know Mr. Raymond Sanders since the mid-nineties. I met Mr. Sanders in the FWIC in Chicago. All the documents were prepared to obtain my visa. All papers were prepared by Dr. Rana and Mr. Sanders. I went to the Indian Consulate on 29 June 2006, to obtain the visa. I did not know that for the visa . so many columns needed to be filled up in the application form . I provided false information on father's name and some other particulars. I was told to come on the next day and collect my visa. I collected my visa for India, for one year, from the Indian Consulate in Chicago. When I applied for the Indian visa my passport had already the visa stamp of Pakistan on it. Also, my Pakistan visits in February and June were recorded in the passport.

56. Dr. Rana was also influenced by my thoughts and actions. He assured all the help in India. I could understand that he had genuine feeling to fight for the cause of Islam on being asked I state that I have not travelled with Dr. Drana in July 2006 to Pakistan. Instead Dr. Rana's son had travelled once with me to Pakistan. I told Dr. Rana that my nephew would send him money which he would have to send to me in India. In my understanding, Dr. Rana, apart from having a soft corner for the cause of Islam, also saw a genuine business opportunity in India. It was decided that we would talk in English whenever I called up Dr. Rana from India.

57. Preparation for visit to India (August 2006 onwards): Upon my return from the USA, I met separately Major Iqbal in Lahore and Sajid in Muzaffarabad. I showed them my Indian visa. Major Iqbal came to my house and paid $25,000 in three bundles ($10,000 | $10,000 | and $5,000). These bundles had no bank ribbon on them. When I met Sajid, he was already aware that I had received money from Major Iqbal. The LeT did not provide me any money for this trip. I do not recall whether I met Zaki before my visit to India.

58. I did not carry the entire money with me. If I recollect I carried only $3000-$4000 during my first trip and two credit cards. During my first trip, I carried my mother-in-law's camera with which I conducted videography and photography. I cannot recollect the model of the camera. I spoke to Dr. Rana before my visit. Dr. Rana gave me the name and details of Bashir and told me that Bashir would receive me at the Mumbai airport.

59. First visit to India (14 September 2006 to 14 Deceber 2006): I was received by Bashir at the Mumbai airport. This was my first visit to India. I had never visited India in any other name before this. Of course, I had travelled to countries like UK, France, Germany, Maldives, Sri Lanka, etc., in the name Daood Gilani.

60. I reached Hotel Outram in Mumbai. I got the money exchanged with the help of Abdullah, an employee in Hotel Outram. I purchased a mobile phone and a SIM card. While in India I had never contacted anyone from my cell phone in Pakistan as instructed I would communicate with Dr. Rana who in return would talk to Pakistan. I used the cuber cafe of Hathway and a couple of other cuber cage near Hotel Outram. U used the memory sticks which I purchased from a couple of showrooms. One show room I recollect was near a book shop close to the Hotel Outram. I do not remember of obtaining any receipt against the purchase of memory sticks from these shops. I befriended Aswin Rajpal, Villas Varak, Kania Messman, Rahul Bhat, and so on. I had taken utmost care to conceal my identity. I submitted a form in Reserve Bank of India, Mumbai under the signature of Mr. Raymond Joseph Sanders for establishing a liaison office of M/s. Immigrant Law Centre, Chicago at Tardeo AC Market, Mumbai. During the later part of September 2006, I conducted an interview under the pretext of appointing a secretary at Shyam Niwas for my Immigrant Law Centre office. On the recommendation of Ms. Kirpalani, Ms. Mahrukh R. Barucha, a Parsi resident of Mumbai, attended the interview and I appointed her as a Secretary. I made extensive photgraphy of places like BMC building. Haji Ali, Gateway of India, Hotel Tak, Applo Bunder, State Police HQrs of Mahashtra, DN Road, Azad Maidan, Areas close to Hotel Outram, Marine drive areas and so on. I received money from Dr. Rana on two occasions. On both the occasions, I received the money from a bank located very close to the Hotel Oberoi. I believe the Canadian Consulate is also located in the same building where I used to go and collect the money. I do not recollect the name of the bank. During this visit, I had not gone out of Mumbai in India.

61. Return to Pakistan after the first visit of India: During my stay in India, I had never talked to any of the my handlers in Pakistan. As soon as I reached Lahore, I contacted Major Iqbal and met him at the fourth location where we usually met. In fact after this meeting onwards, we always met only at this fourth location. I met Major Iqbal and shared my experience with him. I gave him the memory stick of experience with him. I gave him the memory stock of 2GB in which I had made recordings of various locations in Mumbai. He kept the memory sticks with him. We did not see any of the videos together. The next morning he returned the memory stock to me. I had not given this memory stick to Abdur Rehman Hashim. After a couple of days, I left for Muzaffarabad. I went by a bus to Rawalpindi and them Pindi I took a mini bus to Muzaffarabad. Sajid had come in a jeep to receive me from the bus stand. I stayed at "Bait-ul-Mujahiddin" (here in after BM). I met Abu Anas. Abu Qahafa, Muzzammil and Zaki at BM. Abu Anas was working like an assistant to Sajid. I could see the growing importance of Sajid over Muzzammil during my stay in BM. Sajid took the footages from me. He only discussed on the Taj hotel. Sajid was very particular of the annual conference of the software professionals in Tak. There was no sepcific discussion on any target. I could also understand that there was no plan for immediate strike in India.

62. I met Zaki the next morning. He offered me milk and saffron. I informed Zaki about my activities. During my stay in BM we saw a number of videos together. I recollect of watching videos of large number of Sadhus (naked and semi naked) taking holy dip in the river Ganga. Abu Qahafa would tell if we could attack on any such place in India. I presume that this place to be Banarasor or footages of Kumbhamela in India. I had never gone to any of these places. Sajid showed interest in my association with Rahul Bhat.

63. Upon my return to Lahore, I continued my training with the NCO given by Major Iqbal to me on various aspects of intelligence collection. The need to introduce my wife Faiza Outaiha is important here. Before my visit to India, in the last week of February 2007, I got married to Faiza. She was a medical student in the Lahore medical college. She is a Moroccan national. I had not disclosed this marriage to my wife Shazia. I had taken Shazia's uncle Saulat into confidence.

64. I could not meet Abdur Rehman during this trip. I was given to understand that Abdur Rehman, Khurram Haroon were then fighting the "crusader force" (the NATO forces) on the soils of Afghanistan.

65. Before coming to India for the second time, I did not go out of Pakistan. I took briefings from Major Iqbal and Sajid separately. This time also, I did not receive any money from the LeT. I carried the same camera with me for this trip to India. The number given on the air ticket for this time was of Saulat Mamu.

66. Second trip to India (21/02/2007 to 15/03/2007): I had reacted Mumbai on 21, February 2007. I had requested Mrs. Bharucha to get a new SIM card for my trip. During this period I opeed an account in the Relicance cuber cafe. I remained engulfed with some developments on my personal front during this period. I cambe back to Lahore on 15th March, 2007 to attend to some personal issued. After five days, I again left for Mumbai. I had not disclosed this visit with my handlers. Of course, I had discussed these issues with Dr. Rana.

67. Thid trip to India (20/03/2007 to 17/05/2007): I reached Mumbai on 20th March... [BLANK PAGE] … videos of Faiza during this trip. Of course I had taken her photographs.

68. I left Mumbai and spent three days with my wife Shazia and children in Dubai. I had not informed about this visit to any of my handlers other than Dr. Rana I was in Dubai for three days.

69. Fourth trip to India (20/05/2007 to 07/06/2007): I reached India on 20, May 2007 and spent soem time with Vilals and Rahul Bhat. We celebrated Villa's birthday on 30 May. 2007. I do not recollect conducting any important surveillance. I did some general videography of the city during the period. I was in regular touch with Dr. Rana.

70. Arrival in Pakistan and visits to USA and Morocco: I returned from Mumbai and met Major Iqbal and Sajid Majid separately in Lahore and Muzaffarabad respectively. I gave the videos firest to Major Iqbal and then sajid Majid. Interestingly, some of the photgraphs were present in the memory stick that I had given to Sajid. Sajid had digitally blackened the face of Faiza in the computer for which I got appreciation from Zaki. Zaki appreciated my giving him the covered photographs of my wife to him following the true salafi tradition.

71. I left Lahore on 23 July, 2007 and went to USA. I spent a day with Farid and the next day I flew to Morocco to meet my wife Faiza. I remained in Morocco form 24 July, 2007 to 3 August, 2007. I flew from Casablanca by the Emirates Airlines and reached Lahore on 4 August, 2007.

72. I had visited Chicago and applied for the multiple visa to India. This was given to me on and around the end of July 2007.

73. Return to Pakistan before fifth visit to India: Upon my return to Lahore, I met Major Abdur Rehman Hashim and Major Haroon. As I have mentioned earlier, Abdur Rehman developed some serious differences with Zaki after his Nepal visit. Abdur Rehman had visited Nepal with the funds given by LeT. However, he did not discuss the Nepal met up with LeT, which resulted in Abdur Rehman's quitting LeT. Once in the past Abdur Rehman, Abu Dujana, Haroon and I in my house had discussed the assassination plan of President Musharraf. This was reported by Abu Dujana to Zaki. Zaki had shown his anger to us for making such discussion. Major Haroon had also developed differences wit Zaki. In fact, Major Haroon and Captain Haroon had distributed pamphlets against Zaki. There was also a strong rumour that Zaki would be replaced by ISI as the military chief of LeT. However, it did not happen.

74. During this period, I realized that Captain Khurram had died on 30 March, 2007 in a drone attack by the Canadian force in Afghanistan. I remember the date as my son was also born on the same day. Major Adbur Rehman was present when this happened. He remained unmoved and fought. Then subsequently, they buried the body of Captain Khurram. He informed Major Haroon about the death of Captain Khurram.

75. After the Lal Masjid incident, I met Major Haroon and Abdur Rehman Hashim in Lahore. The Lal Masjid episode was criticized. It showed the helplessness of the Pakistani government on the one hand and on the other hand, it showed the commitment within Pakistan to fight the dictates of the Crusader forces who tarnish the faith of Muslims and subject them to torture and exploitation. It endorsed the activities of Abdur Rehman and Haroon. The battle which Pakistan needed to flight no longer remained ambiguous. Captain Khurram, who once as a young captain while in UK volunteered to fight against Indians in Kargil, left the army and joined Mujahideens to fight the crusader force in Afghanistan, finally attained martyrdom. I was eager to contribute to the cause. I slowly started realizing different battles that Zaki and Abrud Rehman were fighting.

76. During the period Abrud Rehman requested me to conduct the surveillance of the NDC in Delhi for his outfit. he also narrated his experience of travel to India with Sajid Majid in April, 2005.

77. This time, Major Iqbal requested me to conduct surveillance of Pune. He gave me some counterfeit Indian currency to try and use them in India. Sajid was very clear in his mind. He wanted that I should conduct further extensive reconnaissance of Hotel Taj in Mumbai.

78. Fifth/sixth visit to India in September 2007: I came from Lahore and landed in Delhi. From the airport, I took a taxi for the Claridges Hotel located near NDC. I conducted the reconnaissance of the NDC. I did not conduct any videography of the NDC. I did not stay in Delhi. In the same evening, I took a flight from Delhi and reached Mumbai.

79. I reached Mumbai on 4 September, 2007. During this period, I conducted an extensive survey of various entries and exit points of Hotel Taj. I also conducted reconnaissance of jewellery shop "Jazdar" in the Hotel Taj. The Shiv Sena Bhawan was extensively videographed. I also visited the house of Bala Saheb Thackeray and talked to some of the guards present in the perimeter security. I took the videos of Villas and Rahul also. I do not recollect on which date I went to Pune. However I am sure that during this period I had gone to Pune and covered some army installations in the city. This was my first visit to Pune. In the subseqent years, I would visit this city twice.

80. I went to Lahore for the celebration of Eid without the knowledge of any of my handlers. I stayed in Lahore for four/five days and then returned to Mumbai.

81. I did not visit any other place outside Mumbai during this phase. I had not gone to Jaipur during this phase. I tried to become close to Rajram Rege, the Shiv Sena PRO. I took him out for lunch also. I did videography of Rajram Rege. I visited the Willington gold course with Villas to get a membership. It did not materialize. However, I took the video footage of Willington golf course. I had brough a gold kit from Pakistan where I used to go to the Garrison gold course in Lahore (where I was being coached on the game.) This is the same gold kit that I left with Villas before leaving India.

82. I understand til the end of this visit, LeT had a limited plan to attack the Hotel Taj in Mumbai during the time of the annual conference. Often, Sajid would discuss with me the option of sending one or two attackers through Nepal or Bangladesh route to carry out the attack in Hotel Taj.

83. Return to Pakistan: Upon my return to Pakistan, like the past practice, I met Major Iqbal in the safe hose (fourth location). I gave him the videos of Pune. The videos of Pune were of not more than twenty five minutes to half an hour's duration. He copied the videos and returned the memory stick to me. We saw some of the Pune videos together. Major Iqbal gave me his assessment on the movement of the force on the basis of their insignia and dresses captured by me.

84. During this time, I could not meet Major Haroon. However, I could meet Abrud Rehman at Pasha on a couple of occasions and discussed the Taj Hotel and other places for attacks with him. I gave him a briefing on the NDC, Delhi.

85. I reached Muzaffarabda. Sajid and Abu Anas recieved at the bus stand. I stayed there for five to six days. We discussed the Taj Hotel and NDC. Sajid did not show any interest in Pune. We saw a lot of videos of Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan and some very old videos of Osama bin Laden. Abu Qahafa made serious efforts in plotting all the places near Taj Hotel on the "Google Earth". We did a comprehensive study on "Goggle Earth" to conduct the reconnaissance of Hotel Taj.

86. During this period I met Zaki also in Muzaffarabad. I had dinner with him. My country, Pakistan was undergoing an identity crisis in the wake of the happenings in Afghanistan and FATA areas of Pakistan. A debate had begun among the terrorist outfits as to whether to fight in Kashmir or in Afghanistan. The "clash of ideology" led to splits in many of the outfits. The decision of Abdur Rehman and Haroon to split from LeT and fight in Afghanistan was part of this trend. Zaki had a serious problem in holding the LeT and convincing them to fight for Kashmir and against India.

87. Zaki would always justify jihad in Kashmir on the grounds that:

(a). The ratio of deployment of force in Kashmir vis-a-vis the general population is one of the highest. So it becomes legitamate to fight the occupations forces in Kashmir.

(b). The Lashkar-e-Toiba is closer to the Kashmir situation and population than Afghanistan. It can perform jihad better in Kashmire than Afghansitan. Over the years LeT has been able to get a name for it, which may not be easy to replicate in Afghanistan.

(c). Since Kashmire is the nearest to the LeT camps it becomes imperative to liberate Kashmir from the clutches of the occupational force.

88. I understand the ISI was under tremendous pressure to stop any integration of Kashmir based Jihadi organizations with the Taliban based out fits. It is always in the interest of ISI to keep these two sets of outfits, poles apart. So Zaki was only reiterating the ISI's official line. However, the aggression and commitment to jihad shown by the several splinter groups in Afghanistan influenced many committed fighters to leave Kashmir centric outfits and join the Taliban category of outfits. I understand this compelled the LeT to consider a spectacular terrorist strike in India. The ISI, I believe had no ambiguity in understanding the necessity to strike India. It essentially would serve Three purposes. They are (a) controlling further spilt in the Kashmir based outfits. (b) providing them a sense of achievement and (c) shifting and minimizing the theatre of violence from the domestic soil of Pakistan to India.

89. I understand this accelerated the Mumbai attack project. Earlier it was a limited plan to attack only Taj Hotel in Mumbai with a couple of attackers like it used to happen earlier . But now it seemed to be a grand plan of LeT to strike Mumbai at multiple locations with multiple attackers.

90. Meeting with Sajid in Rawalpindi: This time instead of Muzaffarabad . I was told by Sajid to come and meet him in Rawalpindi. I reached Pindi. Abu Hamza had come on a motor cycle to pick me up from the bus stand. I came to Pindi the day Benazir Bhutto was assassinated. This safe house of LeT is located near the Ayub Colony in Rawalpindi. We had some serious discussions on attacking the Taj hotel. We also discussed Benazir's assassination and its impact on the future of Pakistan. I recollect that all of them were praying that Benazir should not survive this attack. I met Abu Anas, Abu Hamza and Sajid in This Rawalpindi house. I had some personal problems so I left Rawalpindi after a couple of day's stay in that house. I believe during this time Zaki met a couple of the LeT operatives who had escaped from India. I do not have any information on the Rampur attack on the CRPF camp that took place on the January, 2008.

91. On and around February 2008 I again visited Pindi on the request of Sajid. I took a taxi and reached Barakahu, Pindi. Sajid met me at the Barakahu chowk. This time he took me to a different safe house. I met Abu Anas and Abu Qahafa at this safe house. I was told that Abu Anas is the in -charge of this safe house.During my stay in this safe house, I also met Abu Alaqama. I stayed for two days in the safe house.

92. Before coming to Pindi, Major Iqbal had briefed me. I had continued the activities with the trainer provided by Major Iqbal in Lahore. Major Iqbal had given me a Sony Ericson mobile phone with camera. He also taught me how to operate the instrument. This phone can continuously do video recording. Papu of Nepal whose son is in India, is an important component of Abdur Rehman's set up. I do not have any information about Papu.

93. On and around March 2008, when the FIA building was attacked, I was in Pindi . I do not recollect anything significant being discussed during this meeting . Abu Anas was available in the safe house. The same day, Sajid and I left by bus for Muzaffarabad. Abu Qahafa had come to receive us. We went to Sajid's house in Muzaffarabad. There was a meeting fixed. which was held in Zaki's place. Initially Sajid was not interested in taking me to this meeting but he changed his plan . In this meeting Zaki, Muzzammil, Sajid and Abu Qahafa were present. I met a crean shaven person with a crew cut hair style in his mid-thirties is this meeting. He was introduced to me as Abdur Rehman (frogman) and I was introduced to him as Abdul Qadir. I understand that the frogman was from the Pakistan navy. They had discussed various landing options along the coast of Mumbai. Zaki wanted to carry out the transportation of attackers with help of the frogman in this meeting . The "sea chart" brought by the frogman was discussed . Different landing options were discussed. There was a plan to drop the attackers somewhere, 60/70 kms away from the Mumbai city in order to avoid detection. But Zaki had reservations. The frogman told them that the sea becomes rough after the month of June. So he said that all the planning would need to be completed before June.

94. On the Second day of the meeting Abdur Rehman( frogman) told me to check the position of the naval vessels on the Indian side so as to avoid a gun fight before entering the Indian sea limits. After this meeting, I had never seen the frogman again. Zaki wanted me to explore the entry to Mumbai through the Taj Hotel side.

95. I stayed in this location for some more time. Sajid provided me with and old used GPS of Garmin Company. It had a yellow cover on it. Sajid and Abu Qahafa tought me how to use the Gps instrument . I learnt ho to use of the GPS . I can identify the GPS which I used.

96. Upon my return from Muzaffarabad, I met Major Iqbal . He was already aware of the transportation of attackers to Mumbai through sea routes. He discussed the possibility of taking an Indian boat for this purpose. He also suggested taking a large quantity or arms and ammunition and dumping them in India. According to Major Iqbal, the sea-route option and use of boat happens only once in a while . So he believed that the full preparation for and utilization of this trip should be made.

97. For this visit Major Iqbal asked me to explore the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (here is after BARC) in Mumbai especially its staff colony as a target. As I said earlier he gave me the mobile Phone camera during this trip. Major Iqbal had also given me some counterfeit money for circulation / use in India. Sajid had given me Rs. 40,000 Pakistani currency for this trip.

98. Visit to India for reconnaissance of the landing sites for the attackers in April 2008(Seventh visit to India): I reached Hotel Outram as Mrs. Kiripalini had some problems with the paying guests in Mumbai. I met Abdullah in Hotel Outram. On that day itself I took a taxi and went to the BARC, which I believe is one of the largest residential areas in Asia. I videographed this entire area. In the evening I had food at the Indigo restaurant.

99. I conducted four boat rides at different places for the reconnaissance of the landing sites.

(a) The same evening, I took a boat ride from the Taj/Applobunder area. That was the first boat ride I took in Mumbai. Since it was getting dark, I could not see much. It was tourist boat. I took the ticket in front of the Taj Hotel.

(b) On and around 10 April 2008, I took the second boat ride from the marine drive area. Around 8:30 PM in the evening on the same day I took the boat ride. This ride was also not very useful. I had a conversation with one of the boat men and took his address and telephone number for an exclusive boat ride.

(c) The next day, i.e., 11 April 2008, I went to Cuffe Parade area, the place where finally the attackers landed. I found a number of fishermen present in that area. I talked to a person who stays near a temple in that locality . He told me to come the next morning at 3am for the boat ride. I took his telephone number and left the place . The next morning i.e., 12 April 2008, at 3 am I reached the place and took the boat ride. We went almost six km from the seashore. I found this trip productive as was convinced that this would be the right place for the landing of the attackers. On 14 April 2008, I went to Cuffe Parade again and talked to the fisherman. I went to his house which is located very near a small temple . I do not recollect the name of the person. However I can identify him. He introduced me with a boy. I took his telephone number again and told him that some college students would contact him the possible visit of the attackers to this place. I had subsequently given this fisherman's telephone number to Sajid. During my trip, I plotted the coordinates in the GPS.

(d) I took the next boat ride from the Worli area. I recollect paying Rs.2000 for this ride. This ride was not very useful. I got some fish caught during this boat ride which I had given to Mrs. Kripalini.

100. Apart from the boat -rides, I conducted reconnaissance of VT railway station and a bus station near VT. I recollect of taking videos of the Mumbai Central Railway Station.

Comments